Our aim is that all pupils ( and staff) in the school will develop the following learning skills, in order to give them the skills they need to become life- long learners, ready to tackle any situation that life throws at them. We talked about what makes a good learner and gave a child friendly definition of what each word means. We need to be;
- Creative – I can use all of my skills in my learning. I can think of lots of ways to solve a problem
- A Risk taker – I can have a go. I enjoy a challenge. I believe in myself.
- Resilient – I don’t get upset when my learning is challenging. I keep going until I succeed.
- Purposeful in our learning– I know what I am learning and why.
- Effective communicator – I ask questions and ask for help. I can talk about how I feel. I am a good listener.
- Self-motivated – I want to join in with my learning. I am an enthusiastic learner.
- Reflective – I ask myself and others how things could have been done better. I think about what I would do differently next time.
- Responsible – I know I want to be successful. I know it is up to me.
We wanted to be able to display banners and poster around the school to remind the children and wider school community about these skills and how we can develop them through our learning. We therefore challenged the children to create a design that we can use.
How do the Learning Skills work?
Each week in assembly on Monday, Miss Butler launches the learning skill for the week. Throughout the term, there is a variety of skills which are focussed on; these are sometimes linked in with school or national events. During the week, the children are given opportunities to develop these 8 learning skills and then, in the celebration assembly on Friday, one person from each class is awarded the Learning Skills certificate for the week. The whole school then celebrate how each person has demonstrated the learning skill in the classroom, wider school environment or in the wider community. There is a display in the hall to celebrate the Learning Stars for each week and a book which records the reasons behind their successes.
Learning Skill of the Week
Our learning skill of the week is: